Monday, June 13, 2011

Amalfi Coast, Saturday in Positano!

Early Saturday morning I was woken up by the sound of loud thunder! At first I wasn't really sure what the loud noise was but sadly it was the thunder! Kind of neat to be on the coast for a storm! We debated about whether or not swimsuits were still going to be an option for the day, but decided we would wear them!! Definitely a good choice on our part!

After a nice breakfast we walked down to meet the bus to head into Positano! What a cute and quaint little town! The winding roads can be a little scary being on a bus and not really knowing where you are going! But at any rate, these people do this for a living so it's not that bad in the end! Our bus driver dropped us off at the top of one of the hills so that we could walk down into Positano.

Our walk involved us going through narrow little streets, plenty of stairs and just a fun new town to see in general. At first it was nice walking in the cool weather but by the time we got to our meeting spot where they could give us some direction of what our day would involve we were all ready for some beach time! The rain and clouds over the mountains weren't so pretty now!! Our walk wound us through all sorts of fun small shops that I wanted to stop in all of them! What a perfect little beach town! If you haven't already gathered, Positano was my favorite stop this weekend!

The girls I was with headed down to the beach and I couldn't help myself but to go wandering through the little shops and seeing what they had to offer! I also had to pick up some postcards! What a good excuse to go shopping! And finding stamps in a little beach town isn't the easiest either! They are sold in tabacchi shops, and it's common for them to not have any. One tabacchi shop suggested I try the Poste, but where was I going to find one in a town where I didn't know where I was really even going?! At any rate I found the stamps and kept wandering!

Along my wanders one of our tour guides informed me that cliff jumping was a go! They had to cancel it earlier in the morning because of the weather and for our safety! Thankfully it cleared up! I was so excited to get some cliff jumping in! And with that news also meant some swimming time through caves as the itinerary promised!

I met up with the girls back at a small panini shop that the guides had recommended. It was packed with other Bus2Alps kids so we decided on another little place! After walking around the block for a little bit and avoiding the sit down restaurants we found a cute little spot that was cheap! They had pizza rolls, which was basically just a pizza rolled up like a taco! It was great! Not like pizza rolls out of the oven! Ha ha by this time the sun was out and the bar had a small deck to sit on outside that overlooked the ocean! It was a gorgeous view to catch some sun and enjoy lunch!

We wandered down to the beach after lunch to lay out for a bit! Soon it was time for us to get lined up to go over to the cliffs! Pretty much everyone on the trip did the cliff jumping. The first few boats were filled with people going out and we were the last boat to fill up! There only ended up being seven of us on the boat which was great! We had plenty of room to catch the rays!

It was a short ride over to the cove where the cliff jumping was taking place! The cliffs ranged from 8 feet up to 32 feet! Reminded me of home, except that the water was a lot prettier and warmer! It was a blast! We dove off the boat and swam to shore, then scaled some rocks and jumped right off! Those of you that were with me on Canyon Ferry a few years ago, would have been proud of my jumping! I was kind of a wuss and didn't jump off the high one but definitely did the little one! I loved being in the salt water! Such a refreshing feeling!

After a couple hours of jumping we all loaded up and headed around some more rocks for cave swimming! I wasn't sure what to expect here but it was a blast! We went back into this little cove and climbed up some rocks that opened out into the main cliff area! Never thought all those years of dad leaving me on the rocks while floating down the Yellowstone would pay off in Italy! Love you dad!! After the swim we rode around on the boat for a bit seeing the area and just enjoying the sun! Once we got back to the beach it was time for a nap! This whole siesta thing that Europe has going is great! I love it! We grabbed some drinks, laid out the towels, and plugged in our iPods! It was off to slumber land on the black sand beach! What a life? I think I could get used to having days like that frequently!

After our naps we walked a little ways back up the hill to meet the bus. At this point the rain came back! Thanks for the raincoat Jenn! It came in handy! Kept all of my stuff dry! I fell back asleep on the bus ride home and before we knew it we were back in Sorrento. We all showered quick and got ready for dinner at the hostel and a good night of music. Well not so sure that Mr. Dry and the Cleaners is what I would call a good night of music! But it was still fun to hear some Italian music! They didn't do too shabby!

I called it an early night because Sunday would bring a lot of adventures in Pompei! No fireworks Saturday night, but definitely a good night of eating more pasta with some seafood in it! And fried calamari! Still haven't found any as good as Ferraro's in Bozeman though! It's tough to beat!!

Enjoy these pictures from the beach life!

Only a few pictures on this post!  But here is Positano

Cute little town in the mountains! 

Cloudy day for the beach!

Love this sign! 

Corner on the beach! 

Lexi Alli Kate and I = Beach Babes!!

Spending time on the boat with Lexi! 

Sunset from the roof top at 7 Hostel 

Kate, Lexi Alli, and myself watching the band! 


She steps off...


Look at that form! 




Getting ready to hit the water! 


Brr...it's a little chilly! 



Thanks Jacob for the great pictures! 




Our entire group on our way down into Positano! 

No comments:

Post a Comment