Monday, October 3, 2011

St. John the Baptist Holiday in Firenze

When I checked in Friday, Andrea, the very helpful front desk man informed me of all the events happening that weekend. It was the celebration of St. John the Baptist, June 24. There are all sorts of events going on in the city. I decided to take a quick nap, that ended up not being so quick.

One event that I missed and wished I would have gone to was the old fashioned soccer match in front of St. Croce church. Its a costume game that only happens on this day. Men, young and old dress up in their old fashioned gear and full on brawl out this game. 

I woke up from my nap and just started walking around the city. I was headed in the direction of the Piazza Santa Croce. Soon I fond myself surrounded with all sorts of men standing outside the pubs dressed in the original costumes. It was really interesting to see all of them. 

By this time I headed back to the river because I was getting hungry and decided that I would just find some food down at the river. I was noticing how many people were starting to gather in the river bottom. It was very neat to see everything shaping up. There were people sitting out with blankets and cooking food. Families were gathering and the young love was also cute to see. 

After walking around for a while because I didn't want to eat in a trattoria, I found a place that was serving panini and Pepsi. This was just what I was looking for. Then I wandered down into the river bottom and found a spot to sit. I took in all that was going on around me and decided to sit down and just write. The sun was setting and it was great to see all of the people. 

Soon the sun set, and then music started playing. This was when one of the most breath taking moments of my trip occurred. Music stated filling the river bed and all of the people started singing. I am assuming it was the national anthem. This was then followed by a magnificent fireworks show! An hour and a half later the show was over and it felt like it only lasted five minutes.

Once the show was over I walked back to my hotel. It was great to just people watch. I wanted to get back to sleep for my big day tomorrow. Cooking class was beginning tomorrow! Yay! 

I forgot to mention this pasta in the last post! Best meal of my trip from a restaurant!  So yummy! 

Some kids playing on the empty field after the game! 

An ambulance outside of the stadium!


Sunset!

Sitting in the river bottom! 

Some of the fireworks! Didn't know snapping fireworks pictures would be  so much fun!



This is what I came across on my walk home! Very cool how appreciative people are of the this holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment