Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pasta Pasta and More Pasta

Saturday (June 25) morning came bright and early! I definitely wasn't ready to get out of bed! As a result of this, I almost missed breakfast. That would have been bad! Hotel Alessandra had delicious breakfast! It was a little bit more than the average. I hurried and got ready that morning, to make it to breakfast.

They made my coffee just how I liked it, and I ate a small breakfast. That was one thing that I got used to while in Italy, was eating smaller breakfasts. It wasn't uncommon to only have a pastry, but Saturday I had some cereal, yogurt and fruit! Wasn't really sure what all my day would bring!

After breakfast I went back to my quaint little room and got ready for the day. It was time to explore more of Florence in the daylight! I could hardly wait! I set out just wandering around. Doing that in an unknown city is great!

Saturday was the first of my two cooking classes. I needed to find the school, so that was the first thing on my agenda, then I knew I would be ok to wander for a little while. It was just over the bridge from my hotel and down a cute little street. It was hard to gauge how far away I got walking around so I ended up heading back to the school way early for my class. I was so excited!!

On my walk, I found the Pitti Palace, which is now a modern art museum. The sculpture outside of it was pretty cool. Somewhat intimidating though. I steered cleared of it for now. After hitting a few stores I headed back to the school.

The minute I walked in the school I knew I was in heaven! It was perfect! Allessandro was the head chef, and  completely scatter brained! He was great though! This class was my pasta making class. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I knew it would be good either way!

We made three kinds of pasta that day, plus dessert. These included fettuccine, then parpardelle, and finally ravioli! The pictures will definitely tell more detail! During my class they split us up into a few groups. I was with two girls who were traveling together from Washington state. It was great to meet people from the states who actually knew where Montana was!

When we were finished with the class we got to test out our abilities! I will say it was delicious! Tasting the wine from In Tavola, which is the cooking school, was great too! Panacotta for dessert worked out as well!

After class we wanted more recipes! We convinced Allessandro to give us a couple more! They are around somewhere, so sometime I will be expecting to make them! That will be a little harder because of not having every picture for the steps along the way! It will be fun though!

The girls and I decided that we would meet up later and grab some dinner of some sort. That was a great experience. I headed back to the hotel for a nap and to freshen up, then met them down at the Duomo. We wandered for a while and just decided wine, bread, some raspberries and cheese were a good dinner choice.

Getting dinner was an experience! The grocery stores over there are so weird! It was a funny experience trying to get out of the store, because they only have one entrance and one exit, and you best not mix up the two! We wandered around for a little bit and found a park to go sit at and watch the sun set. This was the perfect way to end an amazing day!

I headed back to the hotel early, because tomorrow was my tour of the Uffizi! I was so excited, and still exhausted! Enjoy the play by play of cooking class!!

Cooking school!


Sculpture outside of Pitti Palace


The street my school was on! 

 
Heaven! 

Here we have carrots, celery, onion and eggplant! 

I am now a fan of eggplant! 

Yummy goodness happening on the stove! 

Rolling out the pasta! Yes, this would be an awesome Christmas present! 


Fettuccine! 

Parpardelle! 


Eggplant with ricotta stuffing for the Ravioli! 


Our cooking group! 

 
Another form of HEAVEN! 

Allesandro! 

 
The ravioli marinating in the butter sage sauce! 

Dinner after our hard work! 

 
Vino! 

Duomo! 



The park where we had dinner! 

 
Dinner that night! 

Forgot to mention this, but on our walk back we came across this parade happening! It was unbelievable! Kind of like the Amish people here in the Montana! 



No comments:

Post a Comment